Friday, June 17, 2011

Still a Daddy's Girl

This is the fourth Father's Day I've spent away from my dad.  Holidays and special occasions have always been a big deal in our family so it's always hard to miss important days such as this.  My dad is one of the most special people in my life.  He's had a big hand in shaping me into who I am.  He has been my number one supporter my entire life right there with my mom. 

Growing up I remember my dad was at every big event and even the small ones.  Unless he was traveling for business, he was at every volleyball and basketball game from the time I started playing in the 5th grade.  In sixth grade he even came to watch my track meets.  He still gives me a hard time for not even making it to the sand on the long jump!  That's probably why I only did track for one year.  I knew better than to stick with that.  I will say in my defense, I did tie for female athlete that year with Nikki Fortinberry so I couldn't have been all that bad.  :)

To my knowledge, he never missed me sing growing up.  I did my first solo at age 2 and that's when it all began.  I would sing in church musicals, probably because my mom was the director, and in school musicals as well.  He was at every performance.  There are a few moments that I remember like they were yesterday.  My first time singing the National Anthem at a Fort Worth Cats game is one of them.  It was fourth of July weekend and I remember dad bought me a new outfit for it.  Blue capris pants and a red polo shirt.  He also bought me shoes to match.  He did the same thing the first Christmas Eve service I sang in at Wedgwood.  It was a pair of cream colored Ralph Lauren pants and a red sweater set with pearl buttons.  He was always doing things like that every time I got a chance to sing.  He was so proud of his baby girl and wanted me to look my best.  And I love the fact that even though he's heard me sing a million times, he still cries at every performance.  I hope it stays that way because I love to make him proud and that's how I know I've done a good job.  :) 

I also remember singing for the senior recognition at church and I couldn't make it past the second line in the song, "...kissing momma's face goodnight and holding daddy's hand."  That line still gets me.  It is such a true statement because even to this day I know my daddy is always there.  When he held me back in November through one of the darkest things I've ever walked through I just knew Jesus was there in our presence.  I felt so loved and safe and protected.  I was at peace in my daddy's arms.  There were no words spoken just tears.  I will never forget that day.  I know it was no accident the Lord brought me home to be with my dad that weekend.  He knew I needed him to make it through the storm. 

Thank you for your unwavering faith and support dad. Words cannot convey what you mean to me.  I know that we live in different states and only get to see one another a few times a year but I want you to know how much I love you and I'm proud to call you Daddy.  You are undoubtedly one of the greatest men I have ever known.  I am so blessed to have you.  I cannot wait for the day I have children and you get to love them and teach them the things you've taught me.  I love you dad and I hope you have a Happy Father's Day.  Here's a song that just sums it all up!

Always Be Your Baby
by Natalie Grant

You were my first love, always there for me
You taught me how to walk and how to dream
God gave me your eyes
But it was you who taught me how to see
Now I can stand on my own
But I know that you'll never let go

I'll always be your baby
No matter how the years fly by
The way you love me made me
Who I am in this world
I'm a woman now, not a little girl
Wherever this life takes me
I'll always be your baby

You are my hero and that will never change
You still can dry my tears with just a smile
The one I've leaned on
From my first steps to walking down the aisle
Now there's another man in my life
But I know by the look in your eyes

I'll always be your baby
No matter how the years fly by
The way you love me made me
Who I am in this world
I'm a woman now, Not a little girl
Wherever this life takes me
I'll always be your baby

Your faith, your love
And all that you believe
Have come to be the strongest part of me
And I will always be your baby



No comments:

Post a Comment